Mezzopianist

Monday, July 24, 2006

Club Gusto - CIP 2

On Sat, we went to SPCA. It's a run-down place as its activities are funded through donations. Since previously I've asked many friends about SPCA but mostly didn't know much. Thus, I'm taking this opportunity to address some of the questions I had earlier planned.

Q1) What does SPCA do?
SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. It is Singapore's only animal welfare charity that takes in and rehome unwanted or abused animals such as cats, dogs and rabbits.
Q2) What is the objective of the SPCA visit?
To raise awareness and prevent cases of animal abuse. Furthermore, educate students on responsible pet ownership that requires a long time commitment due to duties such as providing adequate care, food and gromming.
Q3) Why is SPCA overcrowded with animals?
The shelter can only accomodate around 150 animals but more than 10,000 animals are taken in each year. Also, many people buy pets on impulse and dump them when the novelty wears off. There is also the possibility of having pets which are of the non-approved breed.
Q4) What actions do SPCA carry out with these animals?
The animals taken in are examined and suitable animals are released for adoption based on health, age and breed. The last resort is to put these animals to sleep.
Q5) How can the public help SPCA?
Show care and responsible ownership towards pets. Do not abuse or dump animals. Try to rehouse them. Instead of buying animals from pet shop, adopt them from SPCA to relieve the burden of SPCA.

I liaised with SPCA to hold this fund raising activity for the Gusto students in school on National Day. It was 1 of the events I planned and organized with a tremendous sense of achievement! Prior to the day, the students made their own bookmarks (with Maggie's help) to raise funds, design banners etc. There were also SPCA items like notebooks, pictures etc. Duties were allocated to the students and volunteers available to assist them on the day itself. We raised more than S$2k! I'm so proud of all my Gusto students!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home