Mezzopianist

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Club Gusto June Camp 2006

The last camp I went was in 2003 as a university freshie. This time, I'm a facilitator of the camp and the camp was for sec students are from YY & BB! It's a change of roles! I'm very scared of camps as I'll definitely fall ill. But this time, I'm not being 'tekan' so I'm alright!

It was a 2D1N camp. I packed so many things.... The list gave by the coorindator was too much. 1st time I woke up so early in 4 years.... at 5.55am. I left my house at 6.30am. It was drizzling when I stepped out but was raining heavily when I reached BB. The 1st activity on the itineary was trekking from Yishun Industrial Park to Sembawang Terror Sea Scout campsite. Lao tian zhuo mei and it stopped raining. Fortunately, my heavy bag was allowed to be delivered directly to the venue via cargo.. :p Poor Sze Yoong whose car end up carrying cargo. It was a long hike. Haven't exercise for a long time. Good experience. We reached the campsite slightly before 10am.

Subsequently activities such as tsunami, learn knot tying for rafting and rope swing were carried out. The stations masters were from YY. All thanks to them to run the activities for the kids. Quite fun. A derived version from the activities the volunteers did for the dry run 2 weeks ago. After lunch, the kids in their group made their rafts uwing empty barrels, ropes and wooden poles and we went to the Sembawang river at Sembawang Park to try out the whole afternoon.

The sun was shining brightly. I got toasted and tanned. hehe... Nice colour but not even. Luckily my skin didn't peel. The kids did field cooking for their dinner. A bit hard to cook raw rice using mess tins. Need skills. A sec1 boy from YY seemed to be the chef in my group. Got talent in cooking. =)

Followed by tent pitching, it was the night confidence walk. I wasn't assigned any duties so went to bathe. Toilet wasn't safe with no covered windows. Fortunately, Maggie stood outside to stand guard for me. 1st time I got all dirty with mud, long kang zui, sweat etc.. and didn't bathe the whole day until late in the night... Time flies. When I finished bathing, I realised it was 12 midnight. Got to gather the kids to wash up and gather to bed. All the volunteers and camp chiefs gathered for a debrief at 1am!! Woh... It finished nearly 2am. I stood guard of the toilet door for the other 2 volunteers.

It was almost 2.30am before I prepared myself to sleep. There were so many mosquitoes. I sprayed insect repellant on myself & the bed. I covered my legs with a pillow and my body with my windbreaker. In the morning when I woke up, I was still bitten badly by the mosquitoes!!!! Haha.. Though itchy, quite a memorable experience.

Woke up at 6am. Went to wash up. The power tripped and needed to use a torch light. The one I brought was mini and had a keychain to hang it on the wall. So convenient and powerful. Hehehe....

6.30am, the morning exercise began. The kids ran around the carpark. Not everyone participated. After breakfast, it was the scavenger hunt at the nearby park. Unfortunately, it rained but it stopped as soon as we dismantled the tents. Hence, we were able to continue with the activity.

For my group, the BB students need to be pushed to move. Most of the people in the group involved in the scavenger hunt were the sec 3 student volunteers from YY. We also went to the wrong place to find clues. As a result, we did not finish the 8 locations due to shortage of time. The students were grumbling of the long walk in addition to the hot weather. It was past mid day when we went back to camp site for lunch and clearing up.

BB bus came early and we had to leave 1st. Very sorry to leave YY behind to clear the remaining 'mess' up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home